Exterior - Main Place Tower and Mall
AKA One Empire Tower

350 Main Street  at Church Street, Buffalo, NY

Built:
1965-1969
Tower architect:
Harrison & Abromovitz
Also by Harrison & Abromovitz: Temple Beth Zion
Tower and Mall style:
International
Tower site history:
First Presbyterian Church  (moved)
Erie County Savings Bank Building (demolished)
Tower previous names:
  • 1854 - Erie County Savings Bank
  • 1977 - Erie  Savings Bank
  • 1981 - Erie Savings Bank, FSB
  • One Empire Tower when the Erie County Savings Bank became Empire of America
  • 1980s - Main Place Tower
Tower height:
26 stories - Fourth tallest building in the city
Mall architect:




"Old First" Presbyterian Church
Photo source: "The Picture Book of Earlier Buffalo," Frank H. Severance, ed. Buffalo Historical Society Publications, Vol. 16, 1912.
"The congregation dedicated the new, $17,500 building on the [NW] corner of Main and Church Streets on 28 March, 1827. They sold their original building to the Methodists who moved it to a site on Niagara near Eagle."



Foreground: Shelton Square ... Left: St. Paul's Episcopal Cathedral ... Center: Guaranty Building in front of the Telephone Co.  ... Right: Erie Savings Bank




2015 photos








Platform and tower International skyscraper style ... Left: Rath Building ... Right: Liberty Building
... The tower is connected to the Main Street Mall



Left: Rath Building



2016 photos


Far left: Brisbane Building  ...  One Seneca Tower  towards left ... Far right: Liberty Building






Curtain wall










Right: Liberty Building






















Church Street Metro Rail Station




Church Street Metro Rail Station




Right: Liberty Building








Reflection: M&T Bank across the street




Color photos and their arrangement 2015, 2016 Chuck LaChiusa
| ...Home Page ...| ..Buffalo Architecture Index...| ..Buffalo History Index... .|....E-Mail ...| ..

web site consulting by ingenious, inc.