Table of Contents - Saint Andrew's

Holy Family Shrine and Lady Chapel
St. Andrew's Episcopal Church

Holy Family Shrine

T
he Holy Family Shrine is located at the end of the North Aisle to the left of the chancel (see first photo below).

In the Holy Farmly Shrine there is a quarry stained glass window with a grisaille background and inserted  chalice roundel

The figures of Mary and Joseph and the child Jesus were carved from linden wood and are polychromed. The group was designed and executed by Leslie H. Nobbs, ecclesiastical designer of New York City.

Placed over the figures is a canopy and behind them is material of blue silk damask used during the coronation ceremony of Queen Elizabeth II in Westminster Abbey.

The Holy Family Shrine was dedicated May 17, 1958.

Lady Chapel

The Lady Chapel, is located in a different part of the building. The "Lady Chapel" is so called because it is dedicated to Mary, the mother of Jesus.


Click on illustrations for larger size -- and additional information

Chapel: opening at the end of the North Aisle to the left of the chancel

North and east walls

Quarry stained glass window with a grisaille background and inserted  chalice roundel

East and south walls

Holy Family: Mary and Joseph and the child Jesus

The canopy of blue silk damask was used at the coronation. of Queen Elizabeth

 


Lady Chapel

     

Crucifix hanging in the hall outside of the Lady Chapel

 

Quarry stained glass window with  inserted ship  roundel

Detail from previous photo

Table of Contents - Saint Andrew's

Detail from previous photo

Quarry stained glass window with  inserted Jerusalem  roundel


Special thanks to Rector Sarah Buxton-Smith and Parish Administrator Julie Spina for their assistance

Photos and their arrangement © 2003 Chuck LaChiusa
..| ...Home Page ...| ..Buffalo Architecture Index...| ..Buffalo History Index...| .. E-Mail ...|