Edward B. Holmes House
44 Lincoln Parkway at Forest Avenue (SW), Buffalo, NY
|1911 - Building permit given to Washington B. French, contractor
||Stephen R. Berry
The American Contractor, Vol 31, June 4, 1910, p. 59 lists Berry at 435 Breckenridge (July 2011).
In 1920, his address is 445 Breckenridge.
In 1883, Berry advertised in a Batavia, NY, newspaper, listing his office as 66 Main St., Batavia.
Previous house land owner:
|The entire block was owned by Jas. N. Granger in 1872, 1884, 1891.|
|Edward B[ritain] Holmes:||The roots of the E&B Holmes Machinery Company were laid when
brothers Edward (died 1906) and Britain Holmes (died 1905) founded
their first company in 1840 in Lancaster. They relocated to buffalo in
1852. Portraits of the 2 brothers.
Edward's son, Edward Britain, became president in 1906. Upon the death of Edward B. in 1934, his widow Maud became president of the company.
Source: National Register Nomination, Section 8, Page 7
|1912-1924 - Edward B. Holmes (Pres. of E&B Holmes Machinery Co.)
1930s - George A. Ray (Pres. Geo. A. Ray Mfg. Co.)
Late 1930s and early 1940s - Thomas Goldsborough
1955 - Thomas Hornung
1960s to 1980s - William Carberry
|Other Lincoln Parkway Homes
..... Buffalo Park and Parkway System
|Distinction:||The 2011 National Trust for Historic Preservation Conference in Buffalo Candlelight House Tour
from the 2011 Candlelight House Tour
during The National Trust for Historic Preservation Conference in Buffalo.
Sponsored by Preservation Buffalo Niagara.
Designed by Buffalo architect Stephen R. Berry in 1911, this Craftsman style beauty became the home of the president of E. & B. Holmes Machinery Company.
The design features a very open concept for a home of this period. A Tudor arch porch and stairs lead to the front door, which is flanked by twin leaded and stained glass side lights. Leaded glass transom windows fill the main rooms of the first floor, lending to a bright and airy feel. A unique floor to ceiling brick fireplace anchors the dining room. Quarter-sawn face-nailed floors with walnut inlay grace all of the main living spaces.
When the current owners first looked at the house, an offer had been made to purchase it and tear it down for a new build. Fortunately the house was saved from that fate. In need of TLC at the time, it has been transformed by nine years of sweat equity.
Research assistance: Michele Brozek; Fred Schrock; Ronald Schmitz; Martin Wachadlo,