Linwood Avenue Historic Plaque Project  ...............   Linwood Avenue - Table of Contents

The Charles Lautz House
81 Linwood Avenue, Buffalo, New York

TEXT Beneath Illustrations

Built:

Circa 1878

Style:

Second Empire

Location:

Linwood Avenue Historic District


2013 photos







Mansard roof ... Dormers



Incised limestone window head



Click on illustrations below for larger size -- and additional information
2008 photos

#85 demolished

##81 (left / north) and 77

 

Dormer

Dormer

Straight mansard roof

Modillions support two cornices



Incised stone window head with rose in tympanum


Incised stone window head with roses and shell in tympanum

The residence was one of three neighboring houses built for Lautz family members, this one for the Charles Lautz family, 77 for the J. Adam Lautz family, and 85 for the F. C. M. Lautz family. The Lautzes came to Buffalo from Germany in the 1850s and started a candle-making business involving all of the family members. Eventually, their interests broadened into the Niagara Starch Works, the Niagara Monument Company, and a tool and die manufactory.

Later residents of the home included Dr. Edward A. Sharp, a physician, professor, and president of the NYS Committee on Mental Hygiene, who after specialized neurology work in the great cities of Europe opened a private practice and joined the faculty of the University of Buffalo medical school in 1912.

In 1958, the then-owner, James P. Higgins was granted a permit to demolish a one-family masonry dwelling on the site. At some point in its history, the house was converted into front and rear living quarters. Today, the two former separate spaces are now open and the rear serves as guest quarters.



Photos and their arrangement 2008 Chuck LaChiusa
| ...Home Page ...| ..Buffalo Architecture Index...| ..Buffalo History Index... .|....E-Mail ...| ..

web site consulting by ingenious, inc.