Linwood Avenue - Table of Contents

Dr. E. J. Meyer Building
135 Linwood Avenue, Buffalo, New York


Click on photos for larger size

Greek Revival style

Lunette window

Triangular pediment ... Triglyphs and drops

Ionic column and pilaster ... Pedimented window cap

 

Fluted Ionic column

3 ancones

   

Built:

1911

Architect:

Duane Lyman

The house was built by contractor John Berrick, the brother of Meyer's wife.

Style:

Greek Revival
The first nonresidential building constructed in what is now the Linwood Historical District.

Original Owner:

Dr. E.J. Meyer, the Buffalo doctor after whom Meyer Memorial Hospital, now the Erie County Medical Center, was named.

History of the Building:

Used for its seven years as a Christian Science reading room and music studio, the house has housed the practices of well-known Buffalo physicians ever since Dr. Nelson Russell and Dr. Clayton Greene bought the building from Meyer in 1919.

Because of the prominence of those first three owners (all professors at UB medical school), the building was known, for a number of years, as the "House of Lords."

Dr. Russell had the building enlarged to include more offices, and more space, in 1927.

Dr. James J. White Jr., an orthopedist who specializes in spinal surgery, had the pillared, blond brick building renovated in 1990.

The interior includes numerous oak wood features, and many of the furnishings have been in the building for decades.

Sources:



Photos and their arrangement 2004
Chuck LaChiusa
| ...Home Page ...| ..Buffalo Architecture Index...| ..Buffalo History Index... .|....E-Mail ...| ..

web site consulting by ingenious, inc.