The 12 symbols on either side of the main (red
oak) doors represent the Apostle's Creed:
- Hand of God creating (stars):
"I believe in God, the Father Almighty, Creator of heaven and earth"
- Star of Bethlehem announcing Christ's birth:
"And in Jesus Christ, his only Son our Lord, who was conceived by
the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified,
died, and was buried"
- Light of Christ descending into the depth:
"He descended into hell"
- Open coffin with banners of victory: "The
third day he arose again from the dead"
- Rays from heaven descending to the earth:
"He ascended into heaven, sits at the right hand of God, the Father
- Cross (symbol of Christ) with rays: "From
thence he shall come to judge the living and the dead"
Right side of the main doors:
- The Spirit represented as a dove:
"I believe in the Holy Spirit"
- Church (Blessed Trinity) on
a solid rock: "the Holy Catholic Church"
- Crowns of the saints: "the
Communion of Saints"
- Crossed keys of binding and loosing: "the
forgiveness of sins"
- Open graves: "the resurrection
of the body"
- Souls entering the gates of heaven:
"and life everlasting. Amen."