Holy Cross Cemetery
2900 South Park Ave., Lackawanna, NY 14218
Original entrance and office on 915 Ridge Road. The current entrance and office are located at 2900 South Park Ave,
Holy Cross Cemetery was officially opened in 1849 as a parish cemetery, although records show burials dating as far back as 1830.
In 1853, the cemetery was expanded when Bishop John Timon borrowed $1,200 to purchase a small farm for a cemetery and consecrated 40 acres of it. For this reason, it was noted as being the "Bishop's" cemetery, as title to the property was in his name.
This cemetery's boundaries contain the graves of early Irish immigrants - those who dug the Erie Canal, built the railroads, worked the docks and Great Lake's steamboats and labored at the grain elevators and steel mills. Those who died in tragedies also lie in place here.
Holy Cross Cemetery is the largest of the Catholic cemeteries in the Diocese of Buffalo, consisting of approximately 191 acres. There are over 130,000 interments in this cemetery with approximately 60 acres of undeveloped land for future cemetery use.
- Holy Cross Cemetery - Official Website (Online Nov. 2012)
web site consulting by ingenious, inc.