547 Franklin Street, Buffalo, NY
Painting by Carl F. Zoschke
Original owner: Benson
In 1924, the owner was either Joseph Bradney (1844-1924) or, more probably, his son Joseph John Bradney, a Buffalo architect.
The father, Jospeh Bradney, was born in 1844 in England. In the US, he made his living as a chainmaker and later as a confectionery store owner. He was married to Mary Ann Hudson (1842-1916). They had three children:
- Mary (1875-1882)
- Emma Charlotte (1872-1918; m. 1896)
- Joseph John
Joseph Bradney died on June 30, 1924 and was buried from the Franklin Street home.
The building was used for apartments for many years.
Hip-roof Italianate with Gothic Revival wing and square cupola
Cupola and main eaves have dentils and scroll brackets.
Semi-elliptical arched entrance has wood-paneled double doors with single lights and a leaded-glass fanlight-shaped transom.
There is plain wood frieze.
The stucco finish is scored to give the impression of ashlar blocks.
The front porch on the wing has fluted posts, a pendant design in the balustrade and a stick design at the porch base.
A one-story rear addition made.
Sources of information:
- Carl F. Zoschke
- Obituary of Joseph Bradney on June 30, 1924
- "Buffalo's Brick Italianates: An Allentown Legacy," by Sonia R. Efron. 1994