Old Post Office - Table of Contents
Old Post Office / Erie Community College
121 Ellicott Street at South Division
Buffalo, New York
Main entrance on Ellicott St. ... 2003 photo
The main corridor extends around the north, west and south sides of the building ... Note original Post Office table ... 2003 photo
Original Post Office service window decorated with quatrefoils ... 2015 photo
Acanthus leaves carved in marble capitals ... 2015 photo
|Courtyard - 2015 photos
Each of the four upper stories has an open gallery or corridor facing on an interior central light courtyard with a hipped skylight ... Arranged around the corridors were originally 156 office rooms ... The Venetian palazzo-like interior space is one of the most impressive in the city.
Left: acanthus leaf corbel ... Right: grotesque corbel
Trefoil in spandrel
Gothic capital features acanthus leaves
Note the skylight over part of the courtyard. Before re purposing as the Erie Community College in 1963, the entire courtyard was covered with the skylight which was removed except for this section.
Note also the eating areas with tables and chairs - all added in the conversion to ECC.
Corridors and Classrooms
Federal offices were converted into classrooms when the building was converted into a college.
Lattice windows with symbols of 1901 federal departments which had an office in the building ... Two details below:
Cutler mail chute.
"A mail chute is a largely defunct letter collection device used in early multi-storey office buildings, hotels, apartment buildings and other high rise structures. Letters were dropped from the upper storeys and collected (usually at the ground level) at a central depository by the postal service. This innovation was before the time of the modern "mail room" normally associated nowadays with high rise buildings. It was for the convenience of the users of the building so they would not have to take their mail to an outside mail box or to the post office. James Goold Cutler received a patent on September 11, 1883 for the mail chute. The first one was installed in 1884 in the Elwood Building in Rochester, New York.Cutler ultimately received thirty patents for variations of his invention." - Wikipedia (online March 2015)Detail below:
Cutler mail chute ... Note glazed bricks
Oak wainscoting in former court room ... Two details below:
Trefoil blind arches at top
Ogee arch in door surround
Wrought iron with oak hand rail
Mouchettes ... Bottom trefoil arches
Mosaic and terrazzo floor
Mosaic tiles in between terrazzo