Facade and south elevation - William H. Bayliss House
AKA Bayliss-Oshei House
360 Depew Avenue, Buffalo, NY
Forgotten Buffalo & Tours: The Bayliss-Oshei Residence
Located in Buffalo’s Central Park Community, the Bayliss-Oshei house sits directly across from Burke’s Green on land that was originally the Lewis J. Bennett estate. The Bennett House was the first home built in Central Park in the 1880's and demolished in the early 1930s. The large parcel of land that made up the Bennett Estate was divided into 12 separate Central Park residences.
William H. Bayliss purchased two of these lots at the corner of Depew & Beard to make up the 360 Depew Avenue parcel. He commissioned Buffalo architect Harvey Staring Horton to create plans for the current Tudor-style structure. A former President of the local chapter of the American Institute of Architects, Horton began his career with Carrere & Hastings in New York City and then worked with Buffalo architect George Cary before starting his own firm in 1916.
In 1935, 360 Depew Avenue would become the home to Bayliss, his wife Bessie Cowan, son James and daughter Mary Elizabeth.... Bayliss passed away in 1951. In 1954, two years after the death of her mother Bessie Bayliss, Mary Elizabeth and her husband Robert Chittenden Oshei purchased 360 Depew from the Bayliss estate and made it their home for the next 55 years... Oshei founded Fibron Products in 1949 ... Oshei was the son of Bernard F. Oshei, a brother of John R. Oshei, the founder of Trico Products.
NW Corner Depew and Beard Avenues.
Tudor Revival style.
Former site of the Lewis J. Bennett House. Bennett was the developer of Central Park.
Terra cotta chimney pots ..... Slate roof
Terra cotta chimney pots
Left bay: Gable roof with vergeboard ..... Angled basket weave brick patterns ..... Label molding
Basket weave brick patterns
Ogee arch over leaded glass windows
Entrance: Tudor Revival compound arch with Gibbs surround
Vergeboard ..... Drop finial ..... Half-timbering ..... Copper corbel
Medina sandstone curb
Spandrel panel: Quatrefoils in upper corners flank top of the center cinquefoil