Temple Beth Zion, 599 Delaware Ave.
Beth Zion (destroyed) where Delaware Avenue Baptist
Church members worshipped after they sold the Olivet Baptist Church to the Twentieth
Right: Twentieth Century Club converted
the Delaware Avenue Baptist Church into a clubhouse
Twentieth Century Club: Byzantine Temple designed by Edward
A. and William Kent. On 12 September, 1890, they dedicated
their $95.000 house of worship. Constructed of Medina
sandstone, an immense copper dome marked the highly distinguished
building. There was also beautiful interior frescoing.
Tragedy struck on 4 October, 1961, when a fire, fueled by flammable liquids being
used to refinish the pews, destroyed the building. Within forty minutes of its discovery,
the fire destroyed the magnificent central dome, causing it to collapse into the
Postcard source: Cofeld Judaic Museum, housed behind the present Temple Beth Zion