Wilcox Mansion / Theodore Roosevelt Inaugural Site - Table of Contents

Facade - Delaware Avenue
Ansley Wilcox Mansion / Theodore Roosevelt Inaugural Site
641 Delaware Ave., Buffalo, NY

Buffalo / Poinsett Barracks officers' quarters erected:
1838-40
Barracks abandoned:
1845
Buildings changes by owner Judge Josph Masten:
Masten resided here from 1847 to 1863. At this time the house still faced west, toward what had been the old parade ground. Sometime in the 1850s or 1860s, the front portico of the house was either moved or rebuilt on the much more fashionable Delaware Avenue side and the front portico of the house was either moved or rebuilt.
Owner Dexter Rusmsey:
1883
Dexter Rumsey purchased the house and gave the the use of the house as a wedding gift for his daughter, Mary Grace, upon her marriage to Ansley Wilcox. The interior of the house was remodeled by the Wilcoxes.
Exterior style:
Greek Revival / Georgian Revival


Click on photos for larger size and information

The house was declared a National Historic Site in 1966. In 1971 the house was opened to the public as the Theodore Roosevelt Inaugural Site

Prime remaining example of Greek Revival style in the city

Red Medina sandstone transported via the Erie Canal

Palladian window... Doric columns

Deep two-story, pedimented portico, supported by six smooth-shafted wooden columns with capitals derived from the Doric order.

Tuscan column

The west facade has original six-over-six-light sashes. They are capped by rectangular headers

Balustrade surrounds an observation platform which is centered in the roof


Original Palladian window in pediment

West center entrance contains a semi-circulr transom and double-leaf wooden doors with arched, etched-glass lights. .

Balustrade and newel posts



See also:


Photos and their arrangement 2002 Chuck LaChiusa
| ...Home Page ...| ..Buffalo Architecture Index...| ..Buffalo History Index... .|....E-Mail ...| ..

web site consulting by ingenious, inc.