Hotel Touraine
262-274 Delaware Avenue, Buffalo NY 14202

TEXT Beneath Illustrations



Click on illustrations for larger size -- and for more information

1922 postcard - before the four-story annex was added

Postcard - after the four-story annex was added

Gothic Revival style featuring Venetian Gothic arches

Delaware Avenue facade - detail

North side elevation

Corner quoins

Trefoils in terra cotta Gothic Revival parapet

Trefoils in terra cotta Gothic Revival parapet

Main entrance - terra cotta:

Main entrance - terra cotta:

Foliated finial in center of ogee arch in terra cotta window surround

Terra cotta window surround:

Terra cotta window surround:

Metal ancones support cornice over restaurant entrance

Corbel


See also:

1905 photo

6 photos of Hotel Touraine in the BECHS Collection


Basement level. Diaper pattern grille work.

Stretcher bond



BUILDING MATERIAL

Stone, brick, terra cotta

STRUCTURAL SYSTEM

Steel frame

HISTORY

Erected 1902. Constructed as an apartment house, but may have been a hotel from date of opening.

1903 - The hotel was leased to H.C. Griswold of New York City. The term of the lease was 10 years. Mr. Griswold was connected with the most fashionable hotels and apartment houses in NYC.

1923 - Four-story annex added

1982 - Hotel converted to 104 apartments

For history of the owners of the house that was demolished for the Touraine, see Henry Livingston and Catharine Gibson Lansing

ARCHITECTS

Esenwein & Johnson (designed the 1923 addition, also)

LOCATION

The building is situated on the southwest corner of Delaware Avenue and South Johnson Park (one block north of W. Chippewa). The Greystone Hotel, directly to the west, is listed on the National Register of Historic Buildings. Located in the core of of Buffalo's business district, among early and mid-twentieth century commercial buildings.

DESCRIPTION

Nine-story Gothic Revival style hotel with four-story annex (added 1923). Unique example of the Flamboyant Gothic style in Buffalo as it was applied to a multistory structure, built as a residential hotel. The Hotel originally had 250 rooms.

The building has a roof line 118 feet above the street; frontage on Delaware Avenue of 64 feet, and 122 feet on Johnson Park. One feature of the building was the installation of 100 bathrooms. The rooms were finished in red polished tile work with golden oak woodwork. Each room had a modern shower attachment. The tubs used were exhibited at the Pan-American Exposition and won a gold medal.




Sources:


Photos and their arrangement 2002 Chuck LaChiusa
| ...Home Page ...| ..Buffalo Architecture Index...| ..Buffalo History Index... .|....E-Mail ...| ..

web site consulting by ingenious, inc.