Statler Hotel - Table of Contents..........................E. M. Statler - Table of Contents

Statler Hotel - Exterior
107 Delaware Avenue. Northeast corner of Delaware at Niagara Square

Architect:

George B. Post & Sons
(who also designed
Erie County Savings Bank)

Interior designer:

Louis Rorimer

Style:

Renaissance Revival

Erected:

1921-1923

TEXT Beneath Illustrations


Click on illustrations for larger size -- and additional analysis

Postcard

Postcard

Postcard

Historic photo


Entablature

Scroll buttress

Coquillage

Foliated panel with guttae

Keystone in window surround

Balustrade

South side of Statler borders on Niagara Square


George B. Post and Son designed the Statler Hotel at 107 Delaware Avenue. Many hotels erected nationally by Ellsworth M. Statler followed. The presence of the Renaissance Revival Statler at Niagara Square (where it replaced the Hollister-Fillmore house/Hotel Fillmore/Castle Inn) accelerated the commercial development that gradually overtook the two-mile stretch of Delaware Avenue between downtown and North Street.

Smith Salisbury, editor, owner and publisher of the Buffalo Gazette, the city's first newspaper, also lived on property that has been included in the Hotel Statler site. The first location of Bryant and Stratton's Business college was covered, too, by the towering hotel.

By 1919, when Statler decided to erect his nineteen-story hotel - said to have been the largest building in the state outside of New York City - there were twenty-four businesses along lower Delaware Avenue.

History of the site:



Photos and their arrangement 2003 Chuck LaChiusa
| ...Home Page ...| ..Buffalo Architecture Index...| ..Buffalo History Index... .|....E-Mail ...| ..

web site consulting by ingenious, inc.