Loverin & Whelan in Buffalo, NY

E. F. Hall Office and Residence  (Loverin in 1894)

Lenox Hotel

Hedstrom Gate House

Short biography - F. H. Loverin

Entry from
Our County and Its People: a Descriptive Work on Erie County, New York
Trumen C. White, Editor
The Boston History Company, 1898

Loverin, Fred Harvey, Buffalo, son of Jonathan L. and Roxana E. (Todd) Loverin, was born in New London, N. H., October 18, 1865, and on both sides descends from old New England families. Two of his ancestors, Jonathan and Theophilus Loverin, served in the Revolutionary war, and another, Gilman Loverin. was in the war of 1812.

Mr. Loverin removed with his parents in 1874 to Tilton, N. H., where he remained four and one-half years at the New Hampshire Conference Seminary, pursuing special courses in science and mathematics. On leaving that institution he entered successively the employ of Daniel Page, of Tilton, and Giddings & Son, of Boston, both prominent contractors, and finally the office of Damon Brothers, of Haverhill, Mass., for the study of architecture, which he continued there for about three years. Later he spent some time with F. S. Newman, architect, of Springfield, and in 1888 came to Buffalo and accepted a position in the office of Charles D. Swan.

About four years afterward he opened an office for himself for the general practice of architecture, and on February 10, 1895, with Frederick A. Whelan, be formed the present firm of Loverin & Whelan. Mr. Loverin has already achieved promience as an able architect.

Among the numerous buildings in which he has been interested as designer are the Parkside Baptist church; the residence and studio of E. F. Hall; the Lenox, Berkeley, La Salle, Valois, Algonquin, and Hudson apartment houses; and fine dwellings and other structures.

He is a member of the Delaware Avenue M[ethodist]. E[piscopal]. church, and for eight years has been actively identified with its Sunday school. He is also secretary of the Buffalo Chapter of the American Institute of Architects, and vice.president of the Sanitory Club.

November 7, 1893, he married Charlotte Louise Calef, of Lowell, Mass., and they have one son, Maitland Calef Loverin, born December 1, 1894.
Entry from
Our County and Its People: a Descriptive Work on Erie County, New York
Trumen C. White, Editor
The Boston History Company, 1898

Whelan, Frederick A., Buffalo, son of Martin and Elizabeth (Keeffe) Whelan, was born July 13, 1867, in Syracuse, N. Y., where he received his preliminary education, graduating from St. John's Academy of that city in 1885. In the same year he entered upon the study of architecture in the office of James H. Kirby, of Syracuse, and in 1888 removed to Buffalo to accept a position in the office of Marling & Burdette, who were then engaged in designing the buildings for the International Fair.

In 1889 Mr. Whelan returned to Syracuse to work as a draftsman on the plans for the new city hall there, and on the removal of the original architect he was placed in sole charge as supervising architect.

On the completion of that structure in. 1892 he returned to Buffalo and accepted a position in the office of George Cary, and in February, 1893, entered the office of Fred H. Loverin, with whom he formed a copartnership in February, 1896, under the firm name of Loverin & Whelan.

During his connection with Mr. Loverin he has been interested in the designing of many large and handsome buildings, including the Algonquin, Lenox, Hudson, La Salle. Valois, and Berkeley apartment houses, numerous fine dwellings and other structures.

His duties in the firm are largely those of designer and supervisor of the drawing of plans. He is secretary of the Charcoal Club and a member of the Buffalo Society of Artists.



Page by Chuck LaChiusa in 2013
...| ...Home Page ...| ..Buffalo Architecture Index...| ..Buffalo History Index...| .. E-Mail ...| ..

web site consulting by ingenious, inc.