H. H. Little - Table of Contents

H. H. Little - A Short Biography
By Alan Gerstman

TEXT Beneath Illustrations


Click on illustrations for larger size -- and for more information

Red Jacket Apartments

869 Delaware Ave.

869 Delaware Ave. - Detail

869 Delaware Ave. - Detail

54 Norwood Ave.
Little's own home

90 Norwood Ave.

90 Norwood Ave. - Detail

90 Norwood Ave. - Detail

100 Norwood Ave.

100 Norwood Ave. - Detail

100 Norwood Ave. - Detail

242 Norwood Ave.

Foster House,
3 St. John's Place

242 Norwood Ave. - Detail

Burger-Little Mausoleum, Forest Lawn

Burgess-Little Mausoleum, Forest Lawn - Detail


H. H. (Henry Harrison) Little was a prominent Buffalo architect who practiced from 1874 until his death in 1917. There are few known facts about his early life.

He was probably born in Lancaster, New York about 1848. He spent some years in Detroit before returning to Buffalo about 1874, when he apprenticed with C.K. Porter, one of Buffalo's distinguished mid-19th century architects.

In 1878 Little joined in a partnership with Eugene L. Holmes, an already established architect. The firm designed commercial, institutional and residential buildings. Their largest commission was the Fitch Accident Hospital (1881), a charitable emergency hospital at the south-west corner of Seneca and Michigan Streets. During its four years' existence the partnership designed a number of mansions on North Street.

In 1882 Little struck out on his own, opening a practice at 31 White's Building. He maintained this office through the remainder of his career. Little's practice relied on commercial and institutional clients. He also designed a significant number of houses, frequently for his commercial clients. Among his most famous clients were Denton Cottier and Daniels, for whom he designed a store at the comer of Main and Swan streets. This was the forerunner to that venerable company's long-time headquarters on Court Street.

Lost buildings

Extant Buildings

Politics

Little was a founding member of the Cleveland Democracy, a reform political club which arose to back the presidential bid of Grover Cleveland in 1884. Elected Alderman from the 4th Ward in November 1885, Little served one term ( 1886 -1887), but did not stand for re-election. He remained active in Democratic politics in the city, nonetheless.

He was a 32nd degree Mason and a member of the Buffalo Institute of Architects.

Memorial

Little died in 1917. He is buried with his wife, Anna Burger Little, and her parents, the Rev. Otto and Marie Elwert Burger, in the Burger-Little Mausoleum at Forest Lawn Cemetery (PHOTOS ABOVE).


Photos and their arrangement 2003 Chuck LaChiusa
...| ...Home Page ...| ..Buffalo Architecture Index...| ..Buffalo History Index...| .. E-Mail ...| ..

web site consulting by ingenious, inc.