Green and Wicks - Table of Contents ......................... Chautauqua Institute - Official Home Page
The Chautauqua Post Office as it appeared in the spring of 1909 as it was completed and ready. This was a miracle project by E.B. Green for Chautauqua as the famous Buffalo architect played a key role in helping Chautauqua recover from a devastating October 1908 fire that destroyed the Institution's original Colonnade Building, which served as the commercial center of Chautauqua. This building relocated the Post Office and Printing operations to a brand new facility.
This building went from concept to completion in a remarkable ten months. It is clear that E.B. Green employed specialists and contractors from Buffalo to get the work at Chautauqua done in time to be ready for the 1909 summer season. The steel in the buildings came from Buffalo. (Photo postcard image courtesy of Ed Evans)