Illustrated Architecture Dictionary.................. Illustrated FURNITURE Glossary
A classical frieze ornament having a spiral form resembling a loosely rolled parchment, either
- as a running ornament or
- as a terminal, like the volutes of the Ionic capital or the scrolls on consoles and modillions
C scroll: A "C" curved design. C-and S-scrolls were essential elements of Rococo ornament, especially in frames around cartouches or inscripti.
S scroll: An "S" curved design. An alternate name for an ancone.
Scroll saw: a hand or power saw with a narrow ribbonlike blade for cutting curved or irregular shapes.
In the 19th century, the Victorians used scroll saws for the cutting of fretwork. See photos and explanation of a large treadle lathe and scroll saw. See also: photo of hand crank scroll saw and photo of antique treadle powered scroll saw.
An S or C curved design
A spiraling and convoluting line, like a rolled piece of paper, makes the scroll
An artistic invention in ornamentation, used with acanthus leaves, laurel oak, ivy, and wheat.
Cabriole leg - an S-shaped scroll
Bonnet top / Swan's neck pediment - 2 shaped curves ending in spirals (volutes)
Flemish scroll: An S or C curved ornamental form in which a scroll is broken by an angle. Used in Flemish Renaissance furniture and also in the English Carolean (Charles I or II) and William and Mary styles.
Flemish leg: C-scroll shape terminating in a spiral foot
C-scroll foot used in Late Classical style
Examples from Buffalo:
- Left illustration above: Carved wall panel - Saturn Club
- Connecticut Street Armory
- C scrolls - Buffalo Athletic Club
- S scrolls - Rand Building
- Radiator - Edward Harvey House. 91 Jewett Parkway
- Cast iron fireback - 305 Elmwood Avenue
- Furniture: C-scrolled Empire sideboard foot - American Antique Furniture, Orchard Park, NY
- Furniture: Dining room table - Seymour H. Knox House / Blessed Sacrament RC Church Parish Office
- Furniture: Tilt-top table with scroll-shaped legs and feet - Theodore Inaugural Site
- Furniture: C-scrolled - Edward Harvey House. 91 Jewett Parkway
- Furniture: Cabinet muntins - Edward Harvey House. 91 Jewett Parkway
- Furniture: Acanthus scroll on Renaissance kas panel - Private collection
- Furniture: Empire sideboard with scrolled heavy column, C-scroll feet -Elliott House, Amherst Museum
- Furniture: Late Classical pier table, C-scroll feet - Elliott House, Amherst Museum
- Furniture: Late Classical sideboard scrolled foot - Hoover House
- C. 1880 newel post gas light - Carl Slone Antique Lighting and Windows
- Photo: Baroque scroll - Melk Abbey, Melk, Austria
- C and S scrolls - The Piarist Church, Cracow, Poland
- Baroque C scrolls - Yusupov Palace, St. Petersburg, Russia
- Baroque scroll - St. Roch Churh, Paris, France
- Baroque C scrolls - Versailles, France
- S scroll - Place des Vosges
- Furniture: Flemish chair scrolls - Reprinted from Wallace Nutting, Furniture Treasury, 1928
- Furniture: Scrolled chair handhold - Independence Hall, Philadelphia
- Furniture: Looking glass with phoenix - Cedar Grove House Museum, Philadelphia
- Furniture: Handhold - William and Mary upholstered armchair, Fairmount Park Woodford House, Philadelphia
- Furniture: S-scrolled arm - Windsor chair, Fairmount Park Woodford House, Philadelphia
- Furniture: Chippendale fret-carved mirror - Fairmount Park Woodford House, Philadelphia
- Furniture: Flemish chair leg - George Wythe House, Williamsburg, Va.
- Furniture: C scroll, Philadelphia Chippendale side chair - Winterthur Museum