Illustrated Architecture Dictionary ............... Illustrated FURNITURE Glossary
A small convex molding, usually one of several set close together to decorate a surfaceRibbon-and-reed molding: a bunch of reeds tied with ribbon. Cf, Fasces
Popular in Art Deco style
An edge with a profile consisting of a series of parallel convex moldings, each of which called a reed.
Reeding is the reverse of fluting
Reeds are similar to cable / rope molding, except that cabling is angled.
Reeding was a characteristic Renaissance form of ornamentation.
Examples from Buffalo:
- Illustration above: architecture - Vars building
- Ribbon-and-reed molding - Buffalo Plastering
- Hotel Lafayette
- Furniture: Table foot: reeded brass cap - Kittinger Furniture Company
- Furniture: Urn, Federal candlestand - Dana Tillou Fine Arts
- Furniture: Empire pedestal table legs - Elliott House, Amherst Museum
- Furniture: Sheraton card table legs - Private collection, Buffalo, NY
- Furniture: Sheraton square-back sofa - Private collection, Buffalo, NY
- Furniture: Art Deco sofa, chairs, table, radio - Buffalo & Erie County Historical Society Museum
- Illustration above: Furniture - Federal Gentleman's Secretary-and-Bookcase, Genesee Country Village & Museum
- Furniture: Sheraton chair leg (center illustration) - Plate 2, Appendix, The Cabinet Maker's and Upholsterer's Drawing Book
- Temple of Dendur, Nubia