Building Materials - Table of Contents................ Illustrated Architecture Dictionary
Lockport Dolostone (Dolomite)
Lockport dolostone riprap along the Niagara River in Black Rock
- Lockport: city about 15 miles northeast of Buffalo
- dolostone: a magnesium-rich sedimentary rock resembling limestone; a white or light-colored material
- very hard; harder and more resistant than limestone
- similar composition to limestone
- crushed for fill,
- cement aggregate
- furnce refractory
- ceramic material
- Walls reinforcing lake Erie property along Route 5 because dolostone is highly resistant to erosi
Former quarry near Buffalo: on Hinman Rd and Bear Ridge Rd in Lockport.
Transportation to Buffalo: The Erie Canal ran through the middle of Lockport.
Examples from Buffalo: