Building Materials - Table of Contents................
TEXT Beneath Illustrations
Click on photos for larger size
- limestone: a common sedimentry rock consisting mostly of calcium carbonate,
used as a building stone and in the manufacture of lime, carbon dioxide, and cement.
- Indiana: Bloomington, Indiana quarries
- Cream gray in color
- Highly fossiliferous (filled with fossils) which can seen on close inspection
- Fine grained
- Easily sawn and dressed; can be cut in huge blocks without splintering
- Primarily for foundations (for example, City Honors School), but also
- exteriors (for example, on Kensington Avenue and on Mill St. in Williamsville)
- Commonly found in buildings all over the country, including Indiana University:
in Buffalo: Museum of Science
Special thanks to Jerry Bastedo and John Opera supplying
much of the information of this page.
Photos and their arrangement © 2002 Chuck
.| ...Home Page ...|
..Buffalo Architecture Index...|
..Buffalo History Index...|
.. E-Mail ...|
web site consulting by ingenious, inc.