Illustrated Architecture Dictionary......................... Illustrated FURNITURE Glossary
Classical floral motif of 3 or 5 narrow pointed petals in bell shape, carved or inlaid
A popular 18th Century carved motif used as a furniture and interior enrichment.
The decoration is based on conventional bell-shaped flowers or catkins, used in continuous chain or swag or in graduated size as a pendant. It is similar to the "husk" design.
Seen in American Hepplewhite and Sheraton, notably Maryland furniture.
Examples from Buffalo:
- Illustration above: Horace Reed House Fireplace
- 678 Main Street Exterior terra cotta
- Edward Harvey House, 91 Jewett Parkway Fireplace
- Griggs House, East Aurora Exterior panel
- Minot Tanner House Electric wall sconce
- 143 Linwood Avenue Ornament on newel
- 143 Linwood Avenue Ornament on swan's neck pediment
- Sattler Theatre
- Furniture: Hepplewhite sideboard - Private collection, Buffalo, NY
- Furniture: stencil - Hitchcock style side chair - Amherst Museum
- Cathedral,Catania, Sicily Exterior pilaster
- Musée d'Orsay, Paris, France Exterior panel
- Furniture: Federal mirror - MacKay Homestead, Genesee Country Village, & Museum
- Furniture: 20th century reproduction Hepplewhite card table - MacKay Homestead, Genesee Country Village, & Museum
- Wedgewood pottery - Ariana Swiss Museum of Ceramics and Glass, Geneva, Switzerland